1. Skip to Menu
  2. Skip to Content
  3. Skip to Footer

La Venerabile Arciconfraternita dei SS. Ambrogio e Carlo

The Chapel of Crucifixion

The Chapel of the Crucifixion


Adorned with a wooden altar decorated in gold and originating from the end of fifteenth century. It was rescued during the thirties of this century from the demolition of the Oratory of the Blessed Sacrament in Perugia. On the altar is a crucifix in pepper-coloured plaster by Cavallini. On the lefthand side can be seen the painting of "Saint Charles and Saint Ambrose in Glory", by an anonymous student of the school of Maratta, and perhaps entered in the competition to find an appropriate titular painting for the high Altar. On the righthand side is the painting of "St. Henry of England", a work of Francesco Rosa (?-1687).

The corresponding vault is the work of Paolo Albertoni (1679). It represents "Temperance which strengthens the Will". On the Holy water font nearby rests a statuette of "St. John the Baptist", the early fifteenth century.