The Basilica of SS. Ambrose and Charles on the Corso (Print by Giuseppe Vasi)
Pietro da Cortona designed the dome, the fifth of Rome for amplitude
The fall of the rebellious angels, a fresco by Giacinto Brandi
The new website of the International Ecclesiastical College Saint Charles
The snowy dome of Rome by the snowfall of 2012
The pipe organ of Tamburini, Opus 119, was built in 1928
On August 29, 1471 Pope Sixtus IV approved the foundation of the Brotherhood of Lombardi , very numerous in Rome , and gave them as the seat of the Church of St. Nicholas (or Niccolò) Toffo de Campo Marzio . This ancient church , mentioned in the papal documents of the tenth century, it was renamed after St. Ambrose which was added to the canonization of St. Charles after Charles Borromeo in 1610 , and was home by the Brotherhood (which later became Confraternity of Saint Ambrose and Carlo Country of Lombard ) until the construction of the present church , on the same place as the previous one , which was demolished .
The present church was originally designed by Honorius Longhi thanks to a donation by the Milanese Luigi Cardinal Alessandro Omodeis . The novelty of the project was the choice for the presbytery , a large ambulatory behind the high altar, deliberately inspired by the architecture of the cathedral of Milan.
The yard continued at a slow pace due to lack of funds , to report the brief involvement of Borromini and the more continuous , Martino Longhi the Younger, who did not made a design for a concave façade sandwiched between two towers punctuated by a crowd of cylindrical columns travertine .
Since 1906 , the care of the church is entrusted to priests of the Institute of Charity.
In this church were ordained bishops Angelo Giuseppe Roncalli, March 19, 1925 , and Clemente Riva , June 22, 1975 . Riva in 1966 he was Rector.
The church has become a minor basilica with short Lombardi in Urbe of Pope Pius XI 21 December 1929.